In 1950, a group of girls were graduating from Methodist Ladies College (now called Annesley College) and decided they would miss their school netball – and so decided to enter a team in the South Australian United Churches Netball Association.
They were members of Westbourne Park Methodist Church, and so the club, named Westbourne Park Methodist Basketball Club, and with the one team, was born. For uniforms they used their school sports tunics – a maroon coloured box pleat tunic, and white collared shirt. A green band was added to the bottom of the tunic, and a green girdle at the waist.
The players travelled by bike, bus and tram to get to their matches. In those days few supporters attended the matches and umpires were allocated by the Association. Over the years, the church has become the Westbourne Park Uniting Church, and our club is now called the Westbourne Park Uniting Church Netball Club.